Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rolling Onwards

Saturday is gone into the past. A new week with new mileage is well under way. Yesterday, I increased my short run to 5, heading out the Stillorgan gate, out the N11 to Stillorgan, turning right and then left to take me in the direction of Sandyford, but turning right soon after to bring me towards the Goat pub. This is all a bit of a climb, a slow steady climb, which is manageable. The advantage is that it leads into the final section of my route which is the lovely, steady descent from The Goat back to the Clonskeagh entrance of UCD. I find that my stride lengthens, regardless of how I have done previously, it really is pleasurable running. I manage a 5:45minute km.

Today, then, is the 8-mile mid-week route which brings me out the Stillorgan gate again, but heading left towards the sea and Blackrock on Stillorgan Park. Last week, I turned left onto Careysfort Avenue, but found that it was a busy school route, pedestrianly speaking, and I did have a few near collisions with Moms and kiddies. So, today, I wasn't a hundred per cent sure, but I figured that if I went on a little further in the direction of Deansgrange I would eventually bring myself onto Stradbrook Road (once the home of CafĂ©-Java brother and his wife). It would have, had I not turned off one road too soon, thereby bringing me down Rowan Park. I have no doubt, though, that it was along this road, my beloved sister-in-law tore along with my mother as a passenger in the old mini car that no longer had springs. My mother still talks of the contact between her 'b-o-t-tom' and the road ... with a grin! Only my sister-in-law would get away with it.  From Rowan road, I find myself back on Frascati Road, heading in the direction of the city until I turn left onto Nutley Lane. I deliberately extended my outward leg of the route in a bid to avoid Foster's Avenue at the end. I wanted a calm, steady run today. No dramatics today please. Just ordinary. I wanted to avoid the battle between will and legs on the final mile of Foster's Avenue.  This way, I turned into the campus again at the Stilorgan entrance. I was .4 short of my 8 miles, and just under the 6minute km.

I've been unbelievably lucky with the weather. As I left home this morning, it was lashing. I was expecting a drenching, resolved to run anyway. I had done some thinking about clothes, figuring bare skin would be less weighty and cold than wet leggings, but I had chosen to wear my Clonakilty half-marathon long-sleeve top (several sizes too large) for comfort, all kinds of comforts. The rain stopped as I prepared to leave the car. The Gods smile on me in so many ways.

Saturday is in the past, but it took a 'mammy-dinner' last evening, courtesy of Madeleine who feeds two teenage sons, before I remained some way 'full' for any period of time. And I haven't been holding back on the food front. My portion sizes have been large, my sweet tooth must think that it has died and gone to heaven! Still, as I say, last evening was the first time since Saturday that I did not think about eating at two hour intervals. I don't look hungry though; toned legs maybe, but not overall svelte (I love that word!).

And so, it continues.  Now, sometimes, I catch myself imagining the starting line ....

Don't forget the fundraising, folks. The mycharity.ie button is on the right of the blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling slightly in awe of you at this point...I just don't think that I really care enough about running in the end! I like it, I like to stay fit, and I wish I could run faster. But I'm not prepared (or able) to put the necessary work in.

    ReplyDelete