Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Listing to the End

That title is probably a bit premature, but it has a certain truth.

Today I just did one of the three five-mile runs prescribed for this week in advance of the long twenty-mile run on Saturday next. It was just ordinary, no great drama. I did two laps of the local route, which is not as detested as it was. Now that I know precisely two laps gives me what I need for five miles, I am content. It is also fitting in well with my work routine. I am relieved to feel more sprightly again, a suggestion that recovery from the long, long route of April 30th has happened. I managed to run the five miles (8km) in less than 6minutes per kilometre.

It's less than four weeks to the marathon. From next week, the miles begin to reduce. Isn't time the funniest of things? It was hard to imagine that I would write 'four weeks' when I first wrote 'Eighteen weeks to go', but it happens. The event that once seemed so distant will come along. What's peculiar is that I don't have a sense of how far I have come, maybe occasionally. It just all seems normal. I think that's good, perhaps, perhaps, dare I say it, a sign that the programme has worked. Even the doing of the marathon seems normalish, but maybe it's too soon to have nerves about it. I have other hurdles to face yet.

I have reached the point of planning the day itself. I haven't quite got all the details together, but I have started to make a mental list. I find lists very reassuring. Here is a glimpse into the list as it begins to take shape.  There isn't really an order of importance.

  • Ordered t-shirts for supporters from Customprint.ie.
  • Booked finger food in the Flying Enterprise for those around on the day -please come along!
  • Had our charity included in the marathon's list of charities (see link below)
  • Contacted Irish Lung Foundation with photos and news (as requested)
  • Thinking about final notice to friends, family and colleagues of fundraising through text and e-mail (?)
  • Attend coffee morning organised by MairĂ©ad and Dad in Ballinhassig on May 28th (Thanks!)
  • Think about/Talk about pace for the day (sums, and honesty with self, required here)
  • Watch diary for work and social commitments in coming weeks ... yes, need to be boring here!
  • Read up about pre-race eating habits again ...
  • Continue to break in new shoes (had to buy another pair of ASICS Kayano)
  • Make sure favourite running shorts are washed and ready for the day
  • Consider when I will register
  • Study the route again, begin to imagine
  • Purchase favourite energy bars (need some for Saturday, now that I think about it)
  • Try to keep sleep patterns even
  • Keep up yoga at home (not attending class this session). Yes, the post-run stretching is slipping off the radar
  • Have I done enough to fundraise, raise awareness?
  • Keep on top of those work deadlines so I am happy and relaxed on the day (and there's a whole other list for that).
OK, folks. That's it for tonight. I'm going to finish up before I work myself into a lather. Maybe, writing a list at 9pm is not so wise. 
Keep well!


No comments:

Post a Comment