Friday, May 13, 2011

Thoughtful Clouds

You could almost hear the loud 'suck' as I detached myself from today's preoccupations to go out and run. (Imagine the sound a suction cup makes as you separate it from the surface to which it is firmly attached.)  Although I have returned not quite so high as last evening, I am still the better for having stepped back from my books and papers.


It's a relief to stop concentrated thinking and just let my mind wander.  It takes awhile. It doesn't always happen, but a lot of the time, something shifts in my brain as I run. I return to some kind of centre and am better able, as it were, for the challenges or, indeed, to relax and let them go until tomorrow.  Murakami talks about something similar, comparing his thoughts to clouds.  "The thoughts that occur to me while I'm running are like clouds in the sky. Clouds of all different sizes. They come and they go, while the sky remains the same sky as always. The clouds are mere guests in the sky that pass away and vanish, leaving behind the sky (p.17)."  
  

A final thought, the Eurovision semi-finals are my background noise as I write this blog this evening. Did ye know that our Etty partook in a Eurovision final when she was a music student? Yip! She and her choir were an interval act in the 1993 Millstreet Eurovision. I wonder how many of ye knew that?

 
















7 comments:

  1. can I borrow the murakami book when you've finished with it?

    am revising my finishing time for next weekend ever downwards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly! You can borrow them all when this is over. Only barely started into it, but like it. Of all I have read, he runs for much the same reasons as I(probably you too) do. Busy reading other non-running stuff these days :-( I think you will set a new time for us both next week! Must have confidence in the hard work you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, well you haven't plotted the elevation! or read the various online accounts of how parts of the course are 'un-runnable'!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re Eurovision...the shirts/blouses we wore were made of a fabric that looked like clouds in the sky!!! I suppose it looked good at the time???

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo you have posted is amazing. Looks like a big question mark in the sky. Are the Gods wondering what is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Etty, I can't remember the blouses! Sounds ... interesting? Dad, I spotted the cloud in Kenmare earlier this month. The only camera to hand was my phone so I just took a chance on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that! About Etty and the Eurovision I mean.

    ReplyDelete