Monday, January 31, 2011

18 weeks to go

For a while now, I've wanted to run a marathon. In fact, ever since I skipped alongside my brother Killian, who was struggling (succesfully, of course) to conquer mile 18 at the Clonskeagh mosque, in the Dublin City marathon. (Not sure of the year) I've never been a runner ... until recently that is. I completed a 5km in Rathfarnham in 2005 and promptly gave up running. In the Summer of 2009, motivated by the need to 'trim up' and get healthy again, I began a walk-run regime. By December 2010, not only had I run another Rathfarnham 5km, but I had also completed 3 half-marathons including the inaugural Waterfront event in my home town of Clonakilty. I love running .... most of the time. Up to now, I have never fundraised. Somewhere, in the back of my head, the question of the marathon hovered and I was storing up my fundraising for that event. The time has come. On June 6th, I hope to run the Cork city marathon to raise funds for those suffering from chronic lung illnesses, specifically Sarcoidosis.  The reason why - my sister.  I will let her tell her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment