Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wheeling and Dealing at the half-way mark.

I woke yesterday morning to a battle. My body and soul (spirit/will/mind or whatever) just said 'No!' 'Not going running!' With respect to all those mums, I was reminded of a toddler in the grip of tantrum.  Hmmm.  What  to do? How do I handle this?  I did feel physically 'off', nothing serious, but 'off'. We are over half-way there now, I think. I need to keep pressing forward. I decided to compromise. I wasn't tied by appointments at work so I jiggled the day around. Once I managed my breakfast, I sat at the computer and did e-mails and so on. Then, I put on my running gear and did just over 2 miles instead of the intended 4. I joined No.1 for lunch and a fine solid sandwich, before heading to the city for some good quality library time. There is a project hanging over me, which really needs to go in the next ten days. It could be part of the morning's struggle, to be honest. It just needs to go and I hadn't touched it for some time and other work matters were distracting me. By day's end, I was a much happier lady. Peace of mind had returned, I really am close to that particular finish line. I rounded up the day with a pleasant evening in SinĂ©ad's (cousin from Dad's side) company, charmed by her darling son and herself, of course.  I have to apologise for keeping her up late, though. I had no idea it was past midnight which is a compliment because normally I am straining at the bit for my bed by 10:30!  I also admit to having a glass of wine, just a single glass. I think we were on a compromise day, body and soul. Wine is good for the soul.
I hopped out of her place this morning, nice and near to work, to begin my 8-mile run. You will recall that my first long run was just that distance, now it's the middle distance run. We shall note it as progress although, in truth, I dragged myself around. Still, I managed to do the 8 miles in 6 and a half minutes per kilometre. This is much better than yesterday's 7 and half minutes per kilometre.  The compromise day did not do too much damage.

3 comments:

  1. ok I wrote a really long post and lost it; suffice to say, you are doing brilliantly...I am really struggling to stay motivated because I just can't get out to clock the miles between the multiple demands on my time. It's dispiriting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to know what's going on really? Definitely sluggish. Build up? Half-way confusion - no going back now but cannot see end? Focus on other goals, not quite this one? I was mildly physically unwell yesterday morning (headache/tummy) so had to give that time. But fine. Who knows? Then I think, I am breaking down body to build up and I am out of my comfort zone now, for sure, distance wise. Must talk soon ... about running, of course. I am trying to be patient with it, but hoping the marathon won't feel like last few days, at least all the time. I think it will come right again. Trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your runs or perceived lack of, we cannot be robotic and do everything. You just can't. And some people would argue pause from running can be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete