Friday, May 27, 2011

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

It's really beginning to feel like that. These little runs (4miles today) feel more of a nuisance and I am getting impatient to get at the 'big event'. "Just let me at it," I want to say, "Let's just get this over and done with." IN bed, at night, I have begun to really try and imagine the route, what phase of the run it will be, how I will feel and so on. The final miles will be measured in bridges, I think. 

Not that the little runs are too easy. Today I really was the reluctant runner. A jumbled phrase from the Meat Loaf song popped into my head around mile two, "I would do anything for love, But I won't do that." The 'that' in this case being my running. Why such resistance this morning is a mystery to me? My legs were heavy, I wanted to sit and work on a piece that has (finally) come unstuck for me, I will be heading South shortly for twenty-four hours. I think it just was one too many things to do. I only hope that I am not getting turned off running and that I will continue on when the marathon is over. As a way of coping, instead of doing the one and a half rounds that I usually do for 4 miles, I quite literally turned around at mile 2 and ran back the way I had come out. I was slightly fearful that if I passed my gate, I would be tempted inwards. Anyway, I got there. My short runs are now complete for the week and there just remains an 8 mile run on Sunday.

I'm off to Cork shortly. Mairéad and Dad are hosting a coffee morning for the neighbours in the morning and I am making a 'guest appearance'.  Seriously, I really appreciate it folks. The money is still coming in and I want to thank people for their generosity. I will be sending out a final appeal next week.

There is one last thing I want to say before I sign off today. Despite the cliché, "the loneliness of the long distance runner". I have rarely felt alone on this campaign. The blog has been a significant part of that, keeping me motivated, imagining my readers and 'answering' to them and so on. Also, I know of so many others who are out there venturing their own fundraising or raising awareness or marking a significant episdoe in their lives. Last Autumn, for example, a cousin ran the Evening Echo Women's Marathon, for another cousin who sadly lost a baby at birth, raising funds for Féileacháin.  Cousins on the other side of the  house are also out there running 5kms and 10kms for charity and personal achievement. I love following their exploits on Facebook. I have mentioned Singapore brother who started me on this really, back back when I was still studying. Café-Java brother has done a fair few events on his bike as has No.1's brother who is another great fundraiser. Brother-and-busy-father-of-3-girls will probably run a half-marathon before the year is out - no pressure! I had some lovely runs in November with Etty's hubby who runs every morning before work.  Rhetorician, a friend and colleague, is busily clocking up 2,000kms for the year and engaged in running 84miles in events to mark the age her Dad would be this year, if he had not died from a heart attack leaving her and her Mum.  There is an added poignancy to this because she is now the age he was when he died (am I right?). And she's in her forties! She has already done a half-marathon and has a number of events lined up, including the Dingle half-marathon which we will both do in September.  Then there are people I have never met, who have offered support and encouragement and their experience, through other contacts. In truth, I like to run alone. It's a great bit of space. That said, I feel part of a much larger, bigger community all out there striving and training and just cutting out a pace for themselves. A big cheer for all!

3 comments:

  1. niamh - yes, you're right! thanks for outing my middle-agedness!

    the heavy-legged thing is the taper - all the ladies on my running thread who did the London marathon (and other ones) had exactly the same experience...

    not long to go now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip, hip, hip hooray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting excited for you!

    ReplyDelete