Monday, February 21, 2011

15 Weeks to go: Up-a-day, down-a-day

Another Monday 3m run at a sorry 7:07k/h pace. I hate when I approach 7 minutes for a kilometre, never mind say go over. I know, "a bad run is a done run" but ... sigh, where was all the joy of Friday's pace?
I did not sleep well last night. It took awhile to fall asleep and I never settled into a sound snooze, every now and then some part of my brain insisted that I check the clock.  Despite this time-watching I got up late, although I had a good breakfast. I managed to burn the pine nuts, which I wanted to put into my prepared lunch salad, upsetting the cat and probably the neighbours with the fire alarm. Now the point of this is, of course, who toasts pine nuts at 7:00 in the morning on a work day? That is a far too ambitious project, I think, and indicative of bad judgment brought on by tiredness. My weekend was busy and festive, prompting me to consider its relationship to this morning's effort. I am a bit surprised that giving up the 'grog' is such a deal for me, but I love to settle down with friends and loved ones over a bottle of wine. It really loosens me out and marks off the weekend.  I am loath to make a definitive announcement here, but I know that I am on the verge of letting it go for the duration of the training period. Except my birthday and maybe Easter .. hmm, see, what I mean?
The morning was mild, although dull. The traffic was quiet because schools are on mid-term break, I still took a sneaky break at the traffic lights though, when I could easily and safely have skipped across.  And I confess, for the first time on this campaign, I walked a bit. It was up the little hill to Deer Park, but I just hadn't the pep.  I was glad at the end of my run, for more reasons than one, to see the campus Sports Centre.  An odd start to the running week, I wasn't cranky, was happy to be out, but the body was in another space!

1 comment:

  1. oh god, I know! I am shattered - too little sleep, C awake at 1.30 and then spread-eagled in bed with us (fear of smothering toddler does not aid good sleep); a couple of pints on Saturday, 6 days continuous running. Bah. Tomorrow will be better.

    ReplyDelete