Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wriggle room

What a gorgeous morning - both warm and bright! It's the kind of morning where your woolly warm skirt and dark tights seem a bit dowdy and you wonder which shoes should replace your winter boots. Truly fab!
I abandoned all mechanical devices - heart monitors, ipods, apps - and relied upon my knowledge of the route and my regular wristwatch. I have no idea of my precise time, it was the 3m(5k) in about 31/32 minutes. Standard enough, I think. Sometimes, you just need to run, taking the time to let the 'stuff' and 'issues' have a bit of wriggle room.
Speaking of wriggling, I am shifting my timetable around. The long run climbs to eleven miles this week and twelve the week after and, therefore, needs to go to Saturday. It is just too long to get into a work day.  I have now left go my second yoga class as a further adjustment of the time scales. I think that training for a marathon and one yoga class is probably more than enough time given to physical fitness, if I want to keep other aspects of life on track. That said, the type of yoga I do is a particularly good complement to the running as it addresses strength, as well as stretching.  We do a lot of upper body work which is excellent for these narrow-but-oh-so-tight shoulders while also balncing out the leg work of running! I try to do a few moves on my own time too ... sometimes.  I haven't quite settled on a pattern for the earlier part of the week that is, how to get in the two shorter and one medium runs. The distance increases on them too, a mile for each, I think. Work routine will also be unsettled for the coming weeks.  As you can see a lot of wriggling! Not to worry, we are well on our way and there is a stretch to the evenings, allowing further wriggle room.

1 comment:

  1. I have been out in shorts since last weekend, and was too hot this morning! Probably the rays from my oh-so-white legs...

    ReplyDelete