Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's the third-day run

I spotted the Aviva stadium this morning as I descended from Deer Park. I had never noticed it before and it took me a second or two to figure out the strange configuration. It always amazes me to see curves in a building or architectural structure. One of the advantages of Winter running, of course, is the dearth of foliage on the trees allowing glimpses into otherwise hidden spaces.  It was a beautiful morning, cold, bright and just perfect for a morning run.
Yes, I think it's the third-day run that catches me. It's still only (3m)5k, completed today at a pace of 6.16k/h, but into the third mile I noticed the build up in my legs of the dreaded lactic acid. Many of you non-runners will recognise this as the tightness you feel in muscles unaccustomed to exercise or after exercise for an extra-long period. It's the Jane Fonda 'burn'. 'Feel the burn', she used to say in her exercise videos as she lunged around in her tight-fitting leotard and California glow.  Today's run may also have been affected by the shorter rest period between runs. I ran in the afternoon yesterday, leaving me with twelve rather than the usual twenty-three hours of recovery.  Despite these slight twinges, I still like to do three days of consecutive runs. I see it as an exercise in building endurance necessary for completing a marathon. It's also my understanding, that one is supposed to run tired as well, as long as not overdoing it.
I was not as overall tired as last Wednesday. I am getting to bed and now to sleep earlier, which is a whole act of training and discipline in itself. 
It was such a glorious morning that I had a moment's temptation to abandon work and just hang outdoors all day. Another Walter Mitty moment.

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally knackered: my fault. Went for wine and dinner last night, woke up at about 5. But I ran anyway...not well but I did it

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you would say yourself, a bad run is a done run! You have touched on a question that is in my own mind though... when do I go tee-total on this campaign? Not yet Lord, not yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a hard one: I find I do run better if I don't drink, but small regular amounts (a glass of wine a day) impact less than a big night out (which doesn't happen much anyway). If I am going to go out for a few pints (well more than 2!) I try to make sure that I'm not running the next day. I think I am not prepared to give up drink entirely - I really don't think that I am operating at that level of performance!!

    ReplyDelete