Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Making up the miles

Keen to prioritise a work project and working from home, I left my run 'til later in the afternoon. I feared it was going to be a disaster weatherwise as the dark clouds, rain and cold wind rolled in during the mid-morning. As luck would have it, I managed to dodge the worst of the showers and wind. 
I dislike today's route, but did not want to lose time travelling. The route is too short and difficult to extend. I end up circling round housing estates, doubling up sections of the route and so on. It's a bit of guess work and I am totally dependent on the app on my phone to keep the distance in check. The experience, as a consequence, becomes a bit like watching a kettle boil! I managed to do over 5miles at a pace of 6:18k/h which isn't bad considering I stopped to tie a shoelace, had to pause occasionally to cross roads and so on.  That said, today's run was meant to be done at 'pace' which would suggest that the difference should be more than ten seconds faster than yesterday's easy-run pace.  Not to worry, I had occasion to smile as I recalled my earlier attempts at this route. In its simplest form it is barely 4km and, in my initial forays into training, I would be delighted if I could run it all.  Now it's too short!  By the way, running it twice (which probably seems like the most logical thing to do) is not particularly satisfactory as it takes you through the town with pedestrians, junctions and other obstacles. Hence, the need to extend within sections of it.
To return to the quest to raise funds for the Irish Lung Foundation. I want to announce that customprint.ie (a friend of Etty's owns the company) is in the process of preparing active-run t-shirts for wearing during my training and for marathon day. I will post photos as soon as I have them, but I want to thank customprint for their generous donation to the cause. Wearing the t-shirts as I run around the suburbs of Dublin in early morning traffic means that I will also be raising awareness of the disease and charity. I am also grateful for offers of support on the day of the marathon, but that still feels like a long way away.  

2 comments:

  1. Piece on the paper today about the dangers associated with those high energy drinks. You're doing great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks. I tried one in the 15-mile Killarney run (diluted) and just felt thirsty, but no more energised. I'll have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete