Monday, March 28, 2011

This one is for the Yogis

Thanks Rhetorician. I have not had time to look up your link, but will do so over the next few days.
At least I am not stiff at all today, unlike my last 15 miles (17th of July) when it took me days to recover, some of my FB friends might recall. I shall take that as a good sign and one of hope.

In the meantime, I am going to do some cross-training this evening in the form of Yoga class. I was so high after last week's session of inversions that, in the course of my chat with Etty last week, I informed her of my resolve to be able to do handstands (without assistance of another person, though perhaps against the wall), by my 50th birthday. That should be just about enough time, I think. Our conversation reminded me of a poem we learned in school ... 'When I am old I shall wear Purple' by Jenny Joseph (http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html). It prompted an adaptation and nothing would do me, during the week, until I had a go. Here is my adaptation, dedicated to my Yoga Teacher, Ger.

When I am an Old Woman, I shall do handstands
In lycra that squeezes, and doesn't suit my lumpy thighs.
And I shall bend my back into Cobras and  Bows
Make strong Bridges, and ask 'How much further now?'

I shall sit cross-legged in Lotus, a minor creak at the hips.
When I am tired, a Shoelace pose or Baddhakonasan will do,
Or, to make up for the extra Knee-to-Elbow round,
A little longer in Savasana than is the teacher's wont.

I shall bend over, step back, stretch up,
Hands down, wrapping shoulders, sliding forward and up again
Until the Sun salutes me back.

I shall do Downward Dog against the wall, and Chair,
And Warrior Poses, Trikonasana,
Pranayama, Bandhas, holding in or blowing out, locking, releasing,
Warming and balancing, my neck held soft.

But now we must sit at desks, shoulders hunched,
Drive cars with necks craned forward,
And curve our spines in soft sofas.
Our hips we strain, our toes we cramp, spirit battling to get out.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to do handstands.

Despite yesterday's daunting experience, I am already looking forward to tomorrow's run. Mad!

2 comments:

  1. Love it.

    Re previous post - will ask seasoned and seriously committed runners in the workplace about routes around the Park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, especially love the lycra line!

    Madness...yes, glorious life-loving madness, an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete