Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Up and Running

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/niamhandetty/

Friends, we're live, up and running in every sense of the word! The mycharity.ie link is active. It should be visible on the right hand side of the page, above the facebook link. Just click on the 'Donate Here' and work from there.  If you can't access it, please let me know and I will see what needs to be done.

I have two runs done since last I wrote here. Yesterday morning I did the four-mile run at a pace of 5:34 minutes per km. I needed to 'kick ass', if you'll pardon the expression, after the struggle of Sunday's run. I just needed to stride out there, reassure myself that I still had pace and strength. The pavement did not know what hit it! It probably wasn't the wisest training, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes, you must have a bit of fun too, let the wild side out.

This morning, then, I did the medium distance of seven miles in a pace of 06:04mins per km. It was a mixed pace run.  I started nice and easy, through the campus, using shorter strides to give the body a chance to warm up. I had to pause at a garage on the N11, grateful to the chap who allowed me to use the facilities there. Not to dwell on these matters, but it can be difficult to gauge one's needs. Without the garage facilities today, my run would have been very uncomfortable. Just saying ... it's all part of the training and I won't mention such indelicacies again.  Promise!

The Mount Merrion Avenue section was lovely, a nice gentle descent towards the sea and I am fooled into believing that I have fully recovered from Sunday's run. I turn left, continuing at a fairly comfortable pace on the level, running in the direction of the city. I am not so conscious of the sea this grey morning, but of all the cars.  They all seemed so big this morning, in and out of the schools along that section. Most people at junctions are quite gracious, almost encouraging, letting you cross in front of them.  I had to laugh though. I crossed at a junction, just before the lights went from red to green, and was 'vroomed at' by a waiting car.  I looked to see a little old lady, all stiff-permed, frowning at me.  Maybe, she just got confused, but it felt a little different. I smiled. To be fair, it can be a daunting task to take your Micra into traffic at that hour of the morning. A jogger, even a well-intentioned one, is just another obstacle.

At Nutley lane, where I have to climb slightly, I realise that Sunday is not quite yet out of my system. I could feel my legs tiring as I jogged past the RTE campus, turning left onto the N11 again. There was a slight temptation to stop, just cross the road to return to the car, shower and get on with work, all the more because it was raining. I soldiered on, getting slower and slightly stiffer. Foster's Avenue presented a slight climb again and it was all still a bit of a struggle, doable, the will is there and the breath is there, but the legs are getting heavy and the feet are 'slapping around' rather than striking and bouncing off the pavement.  Then, as if by magic, the heaviness seemed to pass and I got a second wind to come home, not quite sailing, but easily enough for the last mile and a half.  Interesting.

Undoubtedly, I have stepped into my challenge zone. I think that was the solemnity of Sunday. It happened as well at the two-to-three week stage of the training plan, when I realised the commitment ahead. I don't think I wrote about that, but I did ring running brother in Singapore, who reassured me.  Now, the training has moved up another level, a new level of commitment is required.  I remind myself that, emotionally, I have been here before; there is no need to ring anyone. The awe and anxiety eased.

And now,  I am just curious. I have never trained at this distance. How will this pan out? I am in unfamiliar territory.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Niamh - the charity site looks great - chi ching!!

    ReplyDelete