Sunday, March 27, 2011

Phoenix Park and surrounds

I am solemn this evening. Normally, after my long run I am giddy with excitement and achievement. Not so this evening. I am in awe, not at myself, but at what lies ahead.  The last mile was tough and left me wondering will I really, really be able for this. It was a fifteen mile run which I did in 2hours 33 mins giving me a pace of 6:22mins per km.  Intriguingly, that is nearly a minute slower per kilometre on my last long run. How can there be such a difference? My route was slightly hillier than the Howth to Booterstown route but not that much.  I was more tired over all. I did delay the run to today because of the tiredness I felt yesterday. Yes, Dad was also staying, but that could have been negotiated.  I was dressed and all ready to go, but it was obvious as I hunched over my bagel on Saturday morning that the pep wasn't really in me. I gave into my profound urge to tidy instead, particularly to tackle the huge pile of ironing that was lurking in a corner of the apartment. The training programme is taking its toll on more than my legs; my sense of order is also under attack. I thought of you Etty as you unpack boxes, searching for the once familiar, and struggling to find new spaces for your household items.
Another night's sleep and I was more energised. We headed to the Phoenix Park. I was on the running turf of Rhetorician and also running past the workspace of a blog-reading cousin. I thought of you both.  Conscious that supporter no.1 also wanted some exercise, we figured that the Park was a good option. We parked on Kyber road. We both turned right onto Military Road, he walking and pausing to enjoy the sunshine to come back through Chesterfield Avenue.  I also trotted onto Military road, but always opting to take the paths that brought me as close as possible to the Park boundaries.  Phoenix Park is a beautiful amenity and I always saw it as vast and huge (and it is).  Today, when I needed to get in those 15 miles or 24 kilometres, it seemed smaller. I became aware of its limits, quite literally.  I knew I would have to leave it at some stage. Every time I had a choice, I took the path (not necessarily less travelled) but that led away from the centre. This brought me past many of the gates, I don't even know their names. I was surprised to see a school and convent just outside the wall, and later a primary school on the park grounds. I had forgotten the Ordinance Survey offices were there.  I saw some beautiful apartments or town houses at one entrance. I could hear a railway line, smell a restaurant and always had company, despite the fact that I was off the main thoroughfare. I was amused to pass the same couple, also running, three times. Clearly, we were of similar purpose and practically buddies by the third encounter. There were runners of all shapes out there.  Broad bottoms, wiggly bottoms, curvy, tight to invisible ones ... they were all out there. It was an unfamiliar Park for me. I didn't visit the usual landmarks such as the Papal Cross, the obelisk, the Aras. I didn't see the deer until back at the car and having my banana. I did pass within walking distance of the zoo and all the excited kiddies and their more reserved parents.  Usually, I am aware of the vast open space of the Park, today it was the boundaries or limits that became my focus.
I had done some homework prior to setting out and knew that it was going to take more than two rounds to reach 15 miles and so I left the Park at the North Circular Road, running straight in the direction of Phibsborough. It was only then I appreciated the peace and tranquility of the Park and I nearly turned back.  Still, I was afraid I would get bored and with that amount of miles was fearful that any excuse would draw me away from my intention. I turned right onto Phibsborough Road, leading me down to the River (unlike Bruce, I did not go into the River), but turned right again to run along the Quays until I passed Heuston Train Station on my left and turned back into the Park at the bottom of North Infirmary Road.  I needed 5 more miles so I cut through the pretty gardens and passed the playground, up the hill, to turn left at the GardaĆ­ Headquarters and retrace my steps, round the boundaries of the Park, back to the car.
I didn't quite need to get back to Kyber Road to make my distance. At that stage, I was climbing slightly and feeling it.  My shoulders had tightened, as if I had been working at a desk all day and the muscles at the backs of my legs were pulling all the way to the small of back. I was singing 'Just one more mile' and other encouraging little remarks.  Once my phone app announced the 15, I stopped. I wasn't in the least tempted to keep running the short distance left to bring me back to the car. I rang no.1 and he came up to collect me, while I walked a while to try and loosen out.  Usually, I am all chat and 'wow'. Today, I was quiet.  Last Thursday I wrote, 'respect the distance'. Today, I am humbled by what lies ahead, even a bit overwhelmed.
Also, I thought I might be faster. No. 1 just looked at me when I admitted this and in his usual mild mannered, but purposeful way said, 'That's just vanity! Focus on finishing, that's enough!'  He's right, of course.   

6 comments:

  1. Ah Niamh! I think you just missed me.
    Thanks again for the board and lodgings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could probably get a good 15 miles out of the park with a figure of 8 - otherwise you could start at the cabra gate, run out to the canal, along to Coolock and back through the park via sandpits - that's a good 21k, and then you can just add in a bit of park running afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. as in:
    http://www.runningahead.com/logs/4910277aa51c465e91ac33d183d921f9/courses/096eaaca4fef42058fd58f6c0d4bcb25

    ReplyDelete
  4. gates are (clockwise) - Cabra, Ashtown, Castleknock, Knockmaroon, Chapelizod, NCR. The school and convent are Mount Sackville; the primary school is a special school (although once was a regular national school) - the extension was added about 5 years ago. That set of hills around the military road is known as Munich (Eamonn Coughlan trained there for the 1972 Olympics). Mad busy on Sundays - I usually try and run elsewhere (too demoralising for a slowcoach like me!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, that information in latest comments is handy, really handy. Now I can work through a map (and app) more quickly. I did take out a map on Friday evening, but it was nearly nine and time to 'clock off' and I just felt that it would be quicker (and fairer) to settle on doing the rounds with some galloping through the surrounds with which I am fairly familiar. Now that I have a better overall sense of the Park I will probably do a few more of the longer runs there, looping in figures of 8 and so on as you say. I like some sense of purpose or destination for the long runs and not to be caught up in making up the miles in an unfamiliar setting. I'd lose heart. It's a grand amenity on your doorstep, lucky thing. I'm supposed to be in bed! This is why I am tired ... argh!

    ReplyDelete